2013-12-03

2013-12-03 DoomVideo

A quick screen capture video to show just how bad the frame rate is (still awesome to watch though).

The intro screen lasts for about 40 seconds, so you may want to skip past it.


I'm searching through my copy of Programmer's Guide to the EGA, VGA, and Super VGA Cards by Richard F. Ferraro (very good book) to find a better way to get the data into the VGA memory.

I tested writing all of each plane at a time using 32-bit writes, and that filled the screen in under 1/100th of a second, so fast enough for double-buffering, which is what I'm investigating.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic work! That must be immensely satisfying, I think I'd personally find a lot of fun it having a working bit of software on the Kernel, knowing that my job is now to go and optimize and improve. Quick question, do you yet know why the background of the HUD is not being drawn?

    ReplyDelete