2011-12-05

2011-12-05 - NetBeans and Subversion

Recovering from the flu, I decided to have a look at NetBeans.  I have it installed on this new machine, along with MinGW and MSYS, but I haven't gotten around to doing any OS dev work yet.

I looked at NetBeans and poked around with a few test projects, trying to figure out how best to get my structure of OS to work through the IDE.  I've come up with the idea that creating a C/C++ Static Library is the best approach, and putting 99% of the OS code into it.  That seems to use the ar tool to create a .a file which contains all the .o files.  I have then added post-build steps into the project makefile to take this .a file and link it in with my existing start.o to create the binary kernel files as I have before.  The makefile also compiles the bootblock.  I have set the Project run command to run the Bochs bxrc file (via a batch file) to then fire up Bochs with my OS loaded.

A "quick" install of Apache and Subversion later, and NetBeans is happy to push the code into the source control repository, and I can keep track of changes.  All looks good.

Currently, this set of code only contains a few of the previous files, it sets 32-bit protected mode, clears the VGA Mode 3 screen, and displays a title.  It's more of a test for the environment.  In any case, if this approach works, it will make a very good starting point to re-integrate all of the code and create the modular kernel that should have been working ages ago.

I have sent a copy of the project to Pink to test on his Linux install.  He reports that he has been able to get it to build by adding a Debug-Linux configuration into the project and tweaking some settings.  We may be able to get a Subversion repository exposed so that it can become a collaborative project, at least from the point of view of being able to get the code and run the progress so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment